Specifically, the study of nearly 28,000 women confirmed birth defects associated with fluoxetine and paroxetine. On a positive note, most other antidepressants were not linked to an increased risk of birth defects.
However, with the two drugs linked to birth defects listed above, there was a 2 to 3.5 times more frequent birth defects among infants of women taking the drugs early in pregnancy. Even though the authors suggest that the absolute risk is low, is this a risk any mother wants to take?!
Click HERE to subscribe to Know Guff.
Source: Specific SSRIs and birth defects: bayesian analysis to interpret new data in the context of previous reports
- Exercise for Stress-Induced Depression
- Hey Maaaan... You Wanna Do Some Acid?
- Can Vitamin D Supplements Help Treat Depression?
- Antidepressants Linked to Liver Damage
- You'll See It When You Believe It
- Depression and Heart Health
- Study Confirms Diet Influences Depression Risk
- Chocolate Improves Brain Health and Mood
- Vitamin D May Help Teens' Depression
- Medicinal Uses for "Magic" Mushrooms
- Probiotics May Reduce Depression and Anxiety