This new study shows it can increase attention in an acute (immediate) manner. The results were obtained by using electroencephalography, or EEG technology, which takes images of the brain (a measure of brain activity) while performing a cognitive task
For this study, the researchers enlisted 122 participants between the ages of 18 and 25 to consume one of three chocolate treatments:
- higher (60%) cacao chocolate
- low (0%) cacao chocolate, or
- higher cacao chocolate + L-theanine (this third group was to measure how L-theanine impacts blood pressure in response to chocolate consumption)
The results for the participants who consumed the 60% cacao chocolate showed that the brain was more alert and attentive after consumption. Their blood pressure also increased for a short time.
“A lot of us in the afternoon get a little fuzzy and can’t pay attention, particularly students, so we could have a higher cacao content chocolate bar and it would increase attention,” the lead researcher said. He added that a regular chocolate bar with high sugar and milk content won’t be as good, it’s the high-cacao content chocolate that can be found from most manufacturers that will have these effects.
Click HERE to subscribe to Know Guff.
Source: The Acute Electrocortical and Blood Pressure Effects of Chocolate
- Nobel Prize for Chocolate
- Drinking Chocolate for Brain Health
- Chocolate Improves Brain Health and Mood
- Chocolate Prevents Stroke
- Should Diabetics & Heart Failure Patients Eat Chocolate?
- Feel Pain When Walking? Try Dark Chocolate!
- In Case of Emergency, Eat Chocolate
- Chocolate for Weight Loss?
- Eating Chocolate Keeps You Slim
- Dark Chocolate for Everyone! It Lowers the Risk of Heart Attacks
- Dark Chocolate for Blood Pressure and Cardiovascular Health
- Dark Chocolate Enhances Physical Endurance
- Dark Chocolate Reduces LDL (Bad) & Total Cholesterol
- Chocolate may Improve Cholesterol Levels (& Organic Spies)
- Four Meta-Analyses Confirm Chocolate's Benefit on Blood Pressure