Muscadine grapes are a dark-red variety native to the south-east US, commonly used to make wine and port. These grapes have been touted as a health food for several years due to to significant amounts of resveratrol, another compound with disease-fighting properties, including a role in preventing cancer.
“To better understand the relationship between ellagic acid intake and adiposity [obesity], we evaluated results from the peer-reviewed literature. We observed that a daily intake of ellagic acid in the range of 5–88 mg/kg BW correlated with a >25% decrease of fat mass and improvement of glucose metabolism," said the researchers.
“Interestingly, the muscadine wine extract with almost identical phytochemical composition (except for a reduced ellagic acid content due to filtration) displayed reduced lipid lowering effects," the rationale used to conclude ellagic acid is a key ingredient in muscadine grapes to reduce fat mass.
Moreover, ellagic acid has also shown to be effective in reducing the build up of plaque in arteries and increasing cholesterol efflux in macrophages."
Researchers are now investigating whether the products of ellagic acid – urolithins - could be stronger than the chemical itself. They also suggest research is needed to find out whether ellagic acid works in isolation, or whether it works best in combination with other grape chemicals.
Click HERE to subscribe to Know Guff.
Source: Ellagic acid modulates lipid accumulation in primary human adipocytes and human hepatoma Huh7 cells via discrete mechanisms
- Beer for Cardiovascular Health
- Drinking Alcohol Protects Against Multiple Sclerosis
- Red Wine Study Shows Breast Cancer Risk Reduction
- Marijuana Benefits HDL Cholesterol, Insulin Levels, and Waist Circumference
- Probiotics for Liver Health
- Antidepressants Linked to Liver Damage
- Coconut Oil Protects From Antibiotic-Induced Liver Damage
- Coffee May Prevent Fatty Liver Fibrosis
- L-Carnitine May Protect Mitochondrial Function in Liver
- Resveratrol Improves Insulin Sensitivity in Type 2 Diabetics
- Inhibit Serotonin to Help Burn Fat
- Melatonin for Diabetes and Weight Loss?
- Pistachios and Body Weight
- Brown Fat Induced by Lactate and Ketone Bodies
- Chocolate for Weight Loss?
- An Interesting Study Linking Gut Bacteria to Obesity
- Does L-Carnitine Help with Weight Loss?
- Vitamin D Helps to Reduce Body Fat
- C-Section Doubles Risk of Obesity
- Krill Oil Shows Anti-Obesity Effects