This 4-month study included 64 young healthy subjects who were randomly divided into one of three groups:
- 20 mg/day of zeaxanthin, or
- 8 mg/day of lutein, 26 mg/day of zeaxanthin, and 190 mg/day of omega-3s
Supplements of zeaxanthin and the mixed formulation increased CFF thresholds by about 12%, and and visual motor reaction time by about 10%, compared to placebo.
“The visual stimuli that were used in this experiment were specifically designed to test central measures of visual processing,” wrote the researchers. “Hence, the mechanisms underlying the behavioral responses likely also reflected functional properties of the brain as opposed to only optical or neural properties of the eye itself, such as improved function in disabling glare conditions or reduced scotopic noise."
“Indeed, CFF has been associated with cognitive performance, which suggests that relations with lutein and zeaxanthin may reflect a common mechanism related to neural processing speed.”
Click HERE to subscribe to Know Guff.
Source: A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study on the Effects of Lutein and Zeaxanthin on Neural Processing Speed and Efficiency
- Lutein & Zeaxanthin Helps Prevent Cataracts
- More Evidence for Lutein's Eye Protection Effects
- Night Vision the Natural Way
- Lutein & Zeaxanthin May Prevent Cataract
- Lutein, Lycopene, and Beta-Carotene Benefit Eyes in Preterm Infants
- CoQ10 May Reverse Cognitive Deficits in Menopause
- Elder's Vitamin D Status and Cognitive Function
- EPA Better than DHA for Cognitive Function
- Exercise Benefits Cognitive Health
- Sodium Linked to Cognitive Decline
- Exercise REVERSES Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Omega-3s Improve Cognitive Performance & Delay Onset of Cardiometabolic Disorders
- Vitamin K Improves Memory
- Omega-3s Keep the Brain Young
- Drinking Chocolate for Brain Health
- Omega-3s for Mitochondrial Function & Alzheimer's Prevention
- High Blood Sugar Linked to Dementia
- Marijuana for Alzheimer's Prevention?
- Common "Butter Flavour" Linked to Alzheimer's Disease
- Coffee Can Help Prevent Alzheimer's Disease
- Walnuts for Cognitive Health