However, newer research is showing that there are many other healthy compounds in olives and olive oil, one of them being oleocanthal, which has been suggested to protect the brain.
The research team behind this new study wanted to determine whether oleocanthal helps decrease the accumulation of beta-amyloid in the brain, which is believed to play an important role in the development of AD.
The researchers said the results from both their in vitro and in vivo studies on mice demonstrated a similar and consistent pattern for oleocanthal in controlling beta-amyloid levels. Basically, oleocanthal demonstrated that it could significantly increase the degradation of beta-amyloid.
Source: Olive-Oil-Derived Oleocanthal Enhances β-Amyloid Clearance as a Potential Neuroprotective Mechanism against Alzheimer’s Disease: In Vitro and in Vivo Studies
Click HERE to subscribe to Know Guff by email
- Common "Butter Flavour" Linked to Alzheimer's Disease
- Vitamin D3 Helps Clear Amyloid in Alzheimer's Disease
- Vitamin D Rejuvenates Aging Eyes by Clearing Amyloid Beta
- DHA (Omega-3) & Vitamin D Clear Plaques in Alzheimer's Disease
- Omega-3s for Alzheimer's Disease Prevention
- Other studies on olive oil
- Other studies on Alzheimer's disease