There is now plenty of evidence to support cocoa flavanols in boosting various aspects of cognitive function. Epicatechin, the main flavonoid in cocoa, was likely responsible for such effects. The darker the chocolate, the higher the epicatechin content (this was the compound related to increased physical endurance in THIS study).
Perhaps not surprisingly, “Chocolate also induces positive effects on mood and is often consumed under emotional stress,” added the author of the study. She said that chocolate could stimulate the release of endorphins, which enhance the pleasure of eating.
Source: The neuroprotective effects of cocoa flavanol and its influence on cognitive performance
Click HERE to subscribe to Know Guff by email
Related posts on chocolate:
- Dark Chocolate for Everyone! It Lowers the Risk of Heart Attacks
- Eating Chocolate Keeps You Slim
- Four Meta-Analyses Confirm Chocolate's Benefit on Blood Pressure
- Dark Chocolate for Blood Pressure and Cardiovascular Health
- Dark Chocolate Reduces Blood Pressure as much as Prescription Drugs
- Dark Chocolate Enhances Physical Endurance
- Dark Chocolate Reduces LDL (Bad) & Total Cholesterol
- Chocolate may Improve Cholesterol Levels